Thursday, April 1, 2010

Holy Cow

We’ve been adventuring through the south with great gusto so far: we’ve ventured to Virginia, partied it up in Asheville (one of my all-time favorite towns!) and driven down to the wilds of Dalton, Georgia. Where today’s comes from.

Our target today was the Wink Theatre, a venue Colleen had visited the year prior on her tour of Max & Ruby. Back then, it left much to be desired: apparently, the building that housed the theater was under construction, the cast was left to change in some sort of coffee shop, and the windows were uncovered, giving a “show” (of sorts) to nearby construction workers. Needless to say, we were all prepped for a rough day when we rolled in (quite literally) before dawn and started unloading. However, it was clear much had changed in twelve months, for when I walked through our loading doors, this is what greeted me:



And then, as I walked the barn roof pieces into the theater, I noticed this:




And this:



And, once the set was finally up, I stepped back and looked at the whole, rather odd and psycho-rocker-looking, picture:



Still unsure exactly what was going on, I stepped onstage and took a peek behind the big white screens on either side of the stage:



Yep. Today, we performed in a church. Well, not just a church. Actually, our performance space was a church, preschool, Sunday school, bookstore, performing arts center and coffee shop all rolled into one. All that stuff behind our set is the church’s praise band (complete with two keyboards, four electric guitars, a drum set and thousands of dollars of professional sound equipment), which was concealed pre-show by a big gold curtain. Down at our feet was a large digital clock and, at center-stage, a thin Dell-brand computer screen, presumably for the minister-type-person to keep tabs on his timing and double-check his script. (I had to make sure I didn’t kick it during our opening number choreography.)

I’m rather suspicious of organized religion in general, having grown up in a mixed-religion household where we didn’t attend any weekly services and only did the holidays that involved presents or food, so I was already feeling a little out of my element. Too much religion, too close to me and too early in the morning! I changed in our dressing room (referred to as the “Preschool Theatre” and complete with a stage, rocking chair, light board and whimsical playhouse) and got ready for our shows. What was our audience going to think of us? And me? With my great big “inspired preacher revelation” moment (I fall down on my knees and get all throat-y) and my unfortunate Minnesota-tinged southern accent. Was I going to be run out of town? Sent to religious reform school? Made to testify? I stopped by the bathroom just before “places” was called on our first performance (too much coffee) and was greeted by a sign that read: “I can do all things through Jesus who gives me strength.” Gulp! Clearly, this was not my day.

Of course, our two shows went just fine, despite all my worries (and nobody made me confess my sins or “bathe in the light of the Lord”). I got a huge chuckle out of our contact introducing us as “thee-AY-terworks” and loved watching the kids bounce along in the front row. I was, however, reminded of one thing typical of deep-southern TYA audiences, a learning from Max & Ruby I: they don’t clap much. Oh, the kids laughed at all the same spots, were clearly engaged, applauded uproariously at the end and even offered up a few good “kid quotes,” but the whole “clap after a song” concept seemed to be out the window. It took some getting used to, but, by the second show, we were all comfortable buttoning the songs with a pause and moving right along. This may be a trend for the next few months. We shall see.

Post-show we took a photo for the local paper, chatted a little with the kids (who peppered us with great questions), packed up in the blazing heat and headed for the Atlanta airport. It’s time for Alaina to retrieve Cargo Cathy.

Call tomorrow: 12:00pm, Atlanta Airport Hilton. (Yes, Hilton!) We’re driving to Greenville, SC, where we have three days off and then a four-day sit down. Can life get much better? I think not.

Kid Quote of the Day: As Loretta started chomping away on her "pizza," a little girl turned to her mother and said, "Oh my goodness, he's gonna eat a pizza, Mommy." A few minutes later, when Loretta had not yet emerged from behind the box, she again turned to her mother: "He's still eating!!"

Colleen Tractor Quote of the Day: (For context, I put my tractor away before Colleen could get to it) “Ethan Marc Angelica!! I am very proud of you today. And, because you did such a good job, I’m giving you three days off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment