Sunday, January 17, 2010

On the Road Again


Currently, there are two tattered, note-covered, paper-bound scripts sitting in my shoulder bag, next to a new pair of red, rubberized work gloves, two water bottles, the Actors' Equity TYA contract rulebook and a digital voice recorder filled with clucks and moos. I've turned into a bit of a hermit, and those people who have seen me have likely noticed a slight southern twang in my daily speaking voice. And I have had long discussions with other theater professionals about the appropriate emphasis on the words "Ba-kaw" and "Moo." Plus, there's a new blog. Know what that means? It's tour time, Theatreworks/USA-style!

But, Ethan, you ask, what's with this clucking and mooing? Why the southern twang? And you're wasting your expensive degree breaking down "Ba-kaw"s? Why, yes I am! In fact, I am proud to be joining the inaugural year tour of Theatreworks' newest show, Click Clack Moo as Farmer Brown and Chicken #3. Now is an exciting time to be out with this show, as we are the the second company to take it on a large-scale tour (its first six-month tour) and only the fourth group of actors to inhabit these roles. Which, on a more practical note, makes me the tallest Farmer Brown on record, and has earned me the joking ire of the Theatreworks/USA costume shop, as they searched for overalls, shirts and ruffled skirtsto fit my lanky frame. (More on the skirt later.)

This being my fourth stint with Theatreworks/USA (my two-week replacement on Max & Ruby and my five-week tour with A Christmas Carol this December did not get covered in blog-form), I feel that I am in the unique position to compare this show to past Theatreworks experiences. The set? Cake. We can already get it up in under an hour, and with practice, I'm sure it'll get shorter. The rest of the show? Not so much. In fact, I think this may be the most complex Theatreworks show I've had the good fortune to work on. Over the last two weeks, director Wes, music director Stephanie and choreographer Keith have put us through our paces, teaching us how to pile three chickens atop each other without smacking anyone in the face with their tails, the eccentricities of working with a one-dimensional tractor puppet and the Keystone Cops-eqsue chase moment that, when it works, is hilarious. So many of the jokes in this show play for the adults, so we frequently knew we were doing OK if we could get them to laugh. However, most impressive in this process has been the emphasis on ensuring that the heart and honesty of the story comes through even among all the bits. We're still exploring some of the relationships and deepening our acting choices (there's enough fancy footwork, tricky lyrics and six-part harmonies in this one to more-than-fill two weeks of 10-6 rehearsal days), but that is to be expected and, even so, the show runs great. Plus, we've yet to get it in front of kids, and that changes everything.

And who are "we"? Well, collectively, "we" are the youngest crew I've worked with, and certainly one of the most talented. Colleen, who plays Jenny (Farmer Brown's granddaughter and my frequent scene partner) is a Theatreworks vet, having played a killer Ruby on that tour of Max & Ruby for which I was a replacement. The rest are "newbies," but you'd never know. Our cows are Grace (Darlene), Claire (Maddy) and Aaron (Loretta), who, at this point, should probably go out and cut a CD together, because their blend is absolutely amazing. Shaun, who plays our negotiator, the Duck, quite literally "quacks" me up backstage every day with his show-stopping song and his onstage antics. Add to that our super-experienced stage manager, Alaina, and the fact that this group has got to be one of the most easy-going Theatreworks casts I've ever met, and I think we're in for a good time, onstage and off. I am quite humbled to be working with them, and learn a lot every day.

And me? Well, I'm just thrilled to be playing a human (mostly), singing a big opening number (a first for me), and rocking the receding hairline enough to play a grandpa. It's a great company I'm eager to get to know better, and an awesome little musical that is yearning for a kid audience. Theatreworks has been incredibly good to me over the last few years, and I hope I can do their new show justice as it makes its first trek up and down the east coast. And, on top of it all, I'm delighted to be blogging once again. I hope this online account of our adventures (and misadventures) will bring you as much joy as it does me.

YEE-HAW!

Call tomorrow: 11:30am, 108th and Amsterdam. Let's get going!

P.S. For those hoping for the full Click Clack Moo blogging experience, I highly recommend Colleen's Moovin' with Click Clack Moo blog. Check it out! She's even got a tentative schedule up.

No comments:

Post a Comment