Monday, February 8, 2010

Being One of the Girls

OK, so I'm WAY behind in my posts, but, for the moment, I am held hostage in Syracuse, NY, by a camera without a connecting cable. Shortly, expect tales of a major stage mishap (with a photo) and a photographic entry of Click Clack Moo's Superbowl adventures. But, for now, some thoughts on playing a girl:

This is not my first foray into the feminine side with Theatrework/USA. In fact, in all three shows I have done with them, I have, at one time or another, portrayed a female (twice with the semblance of appropriate anatomy.) For Max & Ruby, it was Gracie the Bunny Scout. In Christmas Carol, I briefly played a buxom Mrs. Fezziwig (whose bosoms were fashioned out of metal pails). And now, in Click Clack Moo, I have the distinction of playing Chicken @3. Not "rooster," but "chicken." Which means a ruffle butt skirt, hips and, of course, boobs:



Theatreworks has their "boys-playing-girls" shtick down: it is funny, but never offensive. I have a hard time thinking of a show they do where, at least once, a boy doesn't play a girl. In fact, all of the guys in this show play female characters at one point or another, and, so far, we've taken no flack for it. Our director Wes noted that, while we do play an opposite gender, it's never explicitly pointed out to the kids, so they (and, more importantly, their adults) accept it without critique. I agree that this is true 99% of the time (I did see a very flamboyant Gracie in a production of Max & Ruby that drew some ire from a more conservative crowd), and I think the key to making these characters work is endowing them with as much heart and truthfulness as possible. It's not a camp performance, nor should it be, even though we are tapping into a little of that for some of the comedy. Sure, I may be a chicken, but I still hate the cows with all my little heart and am determined to destroy them with my chicken ninja powers (oh yes, my chicken has a ninja side!) Sure, Aaron's Loretta is a cow, not a bull, but her simpleness and sweetness is what wins the kids over. And Shaun's bad-ass chicken lady is a hoot, but it's his conviction and sass that keeps 'em laughing, not his chest padding. It's a fun challenge, a neat perk of the job, and a nice way to ensure a few laughs during the show. Plus, I can't think of a more amusing way to answer the question: "How did you get your Equity card?"

Call tomorrow: 7:45am, Parkview East Hotel, Syracuse, NY. The Upstate loop continues...

Kid Quote of the Day: After singing that "I'm also gonna lose my farm," a little girl (who had clearly done her homework) piped-up: "No you're not!" Thanks, kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment