Friday, February 5, 2010

An "Egg"-cellent Screw Up

I think this photo takes a little explaining.

So, at one point in the show, Farmer Brown has the genius idea to start selling eggs instead of milk, since the cows have gone on strike. There's a bit where I kneel down on the stage, doing a crazy preacher-man bit and then announce to Jenny, "Instead of sellin' lots of milk, I'm sellin' lots of eggs." Not too difficult, right? Well, imagine now that you have said a long tongue-twister immediately beforehand where you mention eggs and milk in different orders four times. And imagine you're tired. Perfect storm, right?

So, as I turned to Jenny to make my famous discovery, the words that came out of my mouth were something like this:

Instead of selling lots of eggs, I'm selling lots of... uh... I'm gonna sell lots of... um... eggs instead of all that milk!


I looked over at the cows and continued my lines, hoping that they would all be able to hold it together, just so I wouldn't burst. Everybody was doing OK (a few smiles, but nothing major), so I kept going, grabbed the EGGS sign from offstage and announced: "Eggs are the new milk!"

And then I dropped the sign.

Frantic to get it back onto its mark, I fumbled around on the ground, picked it up, slammed it against the set and trudged off for my chicken quick change. About halfway through, I started to hear chuckles from onstage, and Colleen, mid-change herself, turned to me and said, "Ethan, you know you put the sign on upside down, right?"



Call tomorrow: Noon at the Calhoun School, Upper West Side. So nice to have a show in the city.

Kid Quote of the Day: Upon the aforementioned sign disaster, a little kid announced, "That's not right!" You said it!

No comments:

Post a Comment